Monday, April 5, 2010

Lucy got mail!

As most of you know, I have an eagle eye for bargains. It’s not just something I like to do, it’s a passion. I’m pretty sure it’s in my genetic code though, as my Mom was always good at making a nickel stretch to a dollar in times of need. It seems like being “thrifty” is the new black though, which kind of irks me. It’s hip and cool and there are blogs everywhere you look explaining how to work this deal here, or print this coupon there. Maybe it’s just a personal quirk of mine but once things get really popular, I tend to not want anything to do with them anymore. I am NOT saying that I am a trend setter, actually I am far from it! Despite the popularity of being (or becoming) frugal, I will charge on. (Disclaimer: I do not use a credit card. Somehow the phrase, “I will debit on” just doesn’t have the same ring to it)

I am honored to say that I have inspired a few folks to become more aware of their spending. One friend of mine, we’ll call her “Daisy’s Mom”, has even decided to dive head first in to the world of (in my opinion, nearly obsessive) couponing. When they say things come full circle, it is true. Daisy’s Mom recently presented a talk to our local MOPS group (Moms of preschoolers, a Christian mother’s group) and I learned things from her! That’s fantastic!
The one thing I learned that I immediately started to do is to use my dog’s name for things that I request online. Anything that may lead to my name being added to some random mailing list, I use Lucy’s name instead. This way Jacqueline Swinler will not be pestered and I can also keep track of things that I requested, verses the items that are truly junk or spam mail. Yes, Lucy also has her very own email address. I will not share her address with you as she is not very good at typing (lack of opposable thumb) and has a pretty short attention span for anything other than her fuzzy green tennis balls. With this, my email box does not blow up with spam and/or other types of unwanted messages, offers, etc.
Here is a great example of this idea at work.
I love Gain laundry soap. Although many detergent manufacturers have added High Efficiency formulas to their line-up, Gain (and Tide, both Proctor and Gamble products) have always been there for me. I was running low and needed to buy more. I would never think to buy such a product without a coupon (gasp!) but I could not find one anywhere to print online. Alas, I went directly to the company website and requested one. Low and behold, Lucy received not one but TWO $1.00 off coupons for detergent and softener. Way to go, Lucy!
I am far from a pro when it comes to bargain hunting. If I can save money without having to lose quality time with my family (ie: hours and hours of clipping coupons and sorting deals) I am a happy camper!  I hope you can enjoy the benefits of utilizing your pet's name and get some good coupons for yourself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment